What are TM course fees used for?
Some people wonder: why pay a tuition for meditation classes, and where does the money go?
Instruction in the TM technique involves:
• Personalized training with a qualified, certified teacher
• A standardized, seven-step course of instruction
• Optional lifelong follow-up and one-on-one support as needed — for free
The TM course tuition sustains the non-profit organization and allows these educational services to be provided. Why there must be a course tuition is explained more in-depth here: Learning the Transcendental Meditation technique
Here's how your course fee is used:
1. Educational expenses: Although the TM organization is non-profit, it pays the same overhead that businesses must pay — rent, utilities, teaching supplies, etc. The TM course fee helps sustain the teachers, teaching centers, the non-profit educational organization and TM teaching activities around the world. As with every tax-exempt organization, the finances are public record.
2. To help others learn: Because others before you have paid their TM course fee, the program is now available to you in all its effectiveness. Everyone’s course fee helps ensure that others after them may enjoy the full benefits of the Transcendental Meditation technique — including future generations.
In wealthier countries, like the United States, the Transcendental Meditation organization sends part of the course fees to developing nations to support TM programs for people who cannot afford to pay anything — places such as Brazil (pictured), India, and Thailand, where, with the help of private benefactors such as the David Lynch Foundation, during the last three years over 140,000 schoolchildren have learned the TM technique free of charge and enjoy the practice during in-school “Quiet Time” programs.
3. Maharishi’s Program for World Peace: Another very important project supported by your course fee is the establishment of “peace-creating groups” around the world. These large groups of hundreds or thousands of people practice the Transcendental Meditation technique and its advanced programs together twice daily. Why? Because, as scientific research has shown, a sufficiently large number of people practicing the TM programs together create an intensified harmonious effect — not just personally for the individual meditator, but also for the surroundings. Through what scientists call a “field effect,” the quality of life of the whole society improves, measured by decreased crime and violence and improvements in the economy and other social indicators. These large groups have been established on almost every continent, and scientists continue to monitor the effects, with 13 research studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals validating the phenomenon. (Read more about the possible effects of large group meditation on the Huffington Post: "Could Meditation Have Something to Do with Plummeting Crime Rates?"
As a teacher of meditation, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was concerned not only for the individual’s personal growth but for the whole world. He theorized that a sufficient number of people in society ‘transcending’ twice daily, especially together in large groups, would have a significant positive impact on the entire civilization. This pioneering area of scientific research is ongoing and still outside the current paradigm of conventional sociological theories. But the studies thus far are highly promising and support Maharishi’s formula for reducing collective stress in society and creating world peace through large peace-creating groups.
When you learn the Transcendental Meditation technique, your course fee helps support this peace-creating endeavor in your country and around the world. Admittedly, this is a bigger vision and more ambitious program than learning to watch your breath or relax, and a project with such global initiatives requires more funding than checking out a library book about meditation or learning meditation in a yoga class. But Maharishi remained true to his vision that life on earth can rise to a much higher level of human functioning. The certified TM teachers around the world continue to uphold the teaching procedures and policies that have proven so effective in bringing the benefits of the Transcendental Meditation program to everyone.
Who was Maharishi—what is his role in the TM program?
What is "transcending?"
How is Transcendental Meditation different from mindfulness?
Will other practices give the same results?
How does Transcendental Meditation compare to Zen?
What is brain wave coherence?
Is TM just another form of "mantra" meditation?
Why pay for TM when I can learn meditation for free?
Why is TM trademarked?